(prep time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes)
2 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter
1 onion finely chopped
500g minced pork
500g pork sausage meat
handful chopped basil
EITHER 60g grated Parmesan
OR ¼ tsp paprika for the spicy version
1. Heat the 1 tbspn olive oil and butter in a frying pan and cook the onions slowly until soft. Remove from the pan once cooked and cool down.
2. In a bowl mix the minced pork , sausage meat, chopped basil and Parmesan for the non-spicy meatballs, OR add paprika instead of the Parmesan for the spicy meat balls. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
3. Take a pinch of the mixture and roll a meatball. The mixture should make enough for 20 meatballs (makes more or less depending on the size).
4. In a clean frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Place in some of the meatballs making sure that you do not overcrowd the pan. Cook the meatballs on a medium heat, turning them every few minutes to make sure that they are cooked and caramalised to a deep golden brown on each side.
5. Remove the cooked meatballs and repeat the process until all of the meatball mixture is cooked.
6. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and serve with pasta. Serve with linguini or spaghetti. Garnish with chopped basil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
(If you are making the sauce and meatballs in advance, keep the meatballs separate from the sauce in the fridge. Add the meatballs to the sauce and heat together as you cook the pasta).