200g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
175g SR flour50g cocoa
1 tsp vanilla essence
FOR THE FILLING
250ml double cream
icing sugar to dust the cake
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C, gas mark 4.
Grease and line 2 x 20cm round sandwich cake tins (shallow tins) or 1 x 20cm deep cake tin.
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. If the mixture begins to separate (curdle), then add a tablespoon of flour, which will help to stabilise the mixture again.
3. Sieve together the flour and cocoa, then fold into the mixture using a metal spoon.
4.Place half of the mixture in each of the prepared tins and quickly smooth out with a knife.
5. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes until the cake is golden and springs back when you gently touch the surface.
6. When cool, slice the cake in two if you have baked one sponge, fill with chocolate the whipped cream and berries icing and top with a dusting of icing sugar.