These biscuits are a great recipe for children to follow and cook. They also make great biscuits to have with drinks before dinner. You can serve them plain, or to make them more like a canape add some chopped tomato and garlic drizzled with a light dressing and top them with some sprigs of basil. Delicious!
Makes 30 biscuits
200g/4oz plain flour
100g/4oz unsalted butter
2 yolks of a medium sized eggs
10 teaspoons of cold water
150g/6oz grated cheddar
1.Pre-heat your oven to 190 C/375 F/Gas mark 5. Grease two baking trays.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl, then rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Mix the egg yolks and water in a separate bowl. Put four teaspoons of this mixture in a separate cup to brush over the biscuits later.
4. Stir half of the grated cheese into the big bowl and then stir in the egg mixture to make a dough.
5. Squeeze the dough into a ball and cover with clingfilm. Put the dough in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle flour onto a work surface and roll out the dough until it is about 1cm thick.
7. Using pastry cutters, cut out lots of shapes and put them on to the baking tray. gather together the pastry scraps, roll them out and cut out more biscuits.
8. Brush the shapes with the remaining egg mixture reserved in the cup. Sprinkle the biscuits with the remaining grated cheese.
9. Bake the shapes for 12 minutes until they are golden brown. Leave them on a wire rack to cool.